- new listing
- prices depending on the license
- ability to change an upload folder
admin
Site Admin

Re: Photo Video Store. Version 10.07

Postby serge » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:03 pm

About the new "Royalty Free" and "Extended" license prices:

As far as I know, you cannot oppose "Royalty Free" to "Extended". These are two different things.
- "Royalty Free" is a way of licensing and can be opposed to "Rights Managed".
- "Extended" license provides more usage rights and can be opposed to "Standard" license.

In version 10.07, I think the word "Royalty Free" above the price table should be changed to "Standard".

One more thing: in the demo of version 10.07, when you are on a photo page, to the right of the photo, under "license" it reads "/members/license.php". Instead of this it should display the license type "Commercial" or "Editorial".

One last thing: in /members/content_photo, vector and video.php, you should remove the link to the Model Release. Clients need to know that the agency has a signed model or property release, but they must not be able to see it. This is private information.
serge

Postby admin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:34 am

You can add/edit/delete the licenses here:
Admin panel -> Settings - >License
Admin panel -> Settings - >Prices

and name/rename a license as you want.
admin
Site Admin

Postby serge » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:33 pm

So the Standard and Extended licenses have to be set up in Settings>License.
Until now I had created a photo size (Settings>Photo size) with title "Extended Licence" and size "0". This was easy because I'm selling only photos. No vectors nor videos.
Until now I used Settings>License to distinguish between Commercial and Editorial Licenses and this worked very well. The photographers could specify Commercial or Editorial while uploading and this was shown next to the photo.
Now in 10.07, how can I deal with Commercial/Editorial licenses? The only solution I can think of is to ask the photographers to write "Commercial" or "Editorial" in the description field. They will not be happy with this since they will have to edit the IPTC tag just for me.
And what with all the photos that are already on the server? Will I have to edit all of them?

I think that the Settings>License is definitely more suitable for distinguishing Commercial from Editorial than distinguishing Standard from Extended.
Example: Now in 10.07, when the admin edits an image, near the end of the form he can choose between Standard and Extended! I'm sorry but it doesn't make sens! An image is not whether Standard or Extended. What does make sens it to choose between Commercial and Editorial.

What do you think? I would really like to read other users opinion about this.

Thanks!
serge

Postby admin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:20 am

In the old version you can select a license from the list. It was not correct. In the new version you can have several licenses with different prices for one publication. The old license's functionality was removed totally everywhere. If you see a select box of licenses in admin panel it means that you didn't upgrade the script. Now there is a common price manager:
Admin panel - >Settings -> Prices for all publication's types: photos, videos, audios, vectors.
admin
Site Admin

Postby serge » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:13 pm

Thank you. I probably did not upgrade correctly. I will start over.
But tell me: in version 10.07 how can we manage Editorial and Commercial licenses?
How can photographers mark their image Commercial or Editorial?

Thanks!
serge

Postby admin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:29 am

The seller has checkboxes for the prices ordered by licenses. If he/she enables it then he/she selects a license (or several licenses).
admin
Site Admin

Postby serge » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:00 am

I'm sorry but I'm not talking about this.
I'm not talking about Standard (limited) license versus Extended (unlimited, multi-seat, items for resale,...) license.
The price system depending on Standard or Extended licenses in 10.07 is great.

But there is another feature a stock photo site needs: It needs to mark images as Commercial or Editorial. Images for which the photographer didn't provide Model and Property Releases for all identifiable faces and brands should be marked "For Editorial Use Only".

This has nothing to do with the license price. This is information for the client. If a client uses a photo without model release in a commercial project, he can be sued by the person on the photo. So we, as a stock site, have to make it very clear that this photo is not Intented for Commercial Use.

As I said previously, In versions prior to 10.07 I used Settings>License to set up Commercial and Editorial types (let's call this "types" so there will be no confusion). It worked great because photographers could set the "type" themselves in the upload form. And it made no doubt to me that this was what this feature was intended to. Otherwise what was the use of this feature?

Some may say that the client can just look next to the photo and see if a model release is available, but this is far from being perfect. What if a photo has 3 identifiable persons and the photographer uploaded only 1 model release?
You may still say "download the model release and read through it". As I said before the releases should not be downloadable because these documents contain private information. A model surely does not want visitors to be able to get his/her address and phone number. And second, this is far to annoying. The Commercial or Editorial type must be displayed along with each photo. I think it should even be added to the extended search, in a future version.
serge

Postby admin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 pm

I am sorry i didn't understand you before.
I see only one way to put Commercial/Editorial info now - 'description' field.
You can remove 'Model release' link in /templates/template[n]/item_photo.tpl file.
admin
Site Admin

Postby serge » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this. I agree the best way right now is to write it in the description field. Thank you!
serge

Next

Return to News & Announcements