Forum

Questions and discussions

Current Hosting Recommendations

Discuss hosting companies and select appropriate ones

Current Hosting Recommendations

Postby Bidsl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been setting up my site just using a shared host that I know will not work for hosting the site once I actually open it to the public for use. I see the threads here discussing shared hosting but they are a bit dated so I wanted to ask about current recommendations. Maybe someone has found a workable solution recently? I'd like to start with shared hosting since at this time, I have zero members/users.

The option I see people talking about in past threads is Imageleet. I checked their ffmpeg hosting page and their .php limits advertised are exciting. However, I then read their terms of service and see that they'll disable any shared hosting account that causes the server to process longer than two minutes. I might be looking at this wrong, but doesn't this mean that despite the .php limits of up to 250,000 seconds, if you go longer than 120 seconds, you'll get shut down? If so, it seems that this hosting would be completely worthless for uploading HD videos longer than about 30 seconds long. Am I understanding this correctly? If any that have used Imageleet upload videos to sell, what has been your experience?

Thanks,
Bill
Bidsl

Re: Current Hosting Recommendations

Postby vetta » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:07 pm

I contacted imageleet.com and they looked at all of the requirements and assured me their would be no issue with the script and that all contributors would have no problem with server timing out and getting fatal errors etc. this seems like a logical move, im moving Monday and ill keep you all updated. they provide vps and dedicated also for when we outgrow the shared
vetta

Postby vetta » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:44 pm

yeah didnt go with imageleet, their payment system was giving errors when i checked out and no phone support so i went with godaddy vps . moving site now.
Ill let everyone know if i stop getting memory error and all contributors are able to upoad large high def files.

• RAM: 2 GB dedicated
• Storage: 60 GB ‡‡
• Bandwidth: 2,000 GB/mo
44.00/mth

outgrow this one and i can easily upgrade and the price is worth it when they have the beswt customer service PHONE SUPPORT in the world
vetta

Postby vetta » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:09 pm

works great! maybe this will help also: server memory limit in php.ini you can set to -1 for unlimited and use whatever resources are available and you are allowed on your server.
vetta

Postby Indivstock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 am

what about the storage. 100GB with 12.000 images. 60gb isnt much
Indivstock

Postby Bidsl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:15 am

Thanks for the report Vetta. I ended up getting a VPS as well but not with GoDaddy. So far so good. I've got a smaller 60gb storage too. Hopefully with using the cron to send files to Amazon, the files will keep being moved before 60 gb is used up.
Bidsl

Postby vetta » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:07 pm

i already had to upgrade to 90gb storage because i ran out of space and have only 20G left. if you run out of disk space you will get an error 500 display when you try to access your site, i know i ran out on the 60g and upgraded to 90g. i have have 10,000 pics and 2500 vectors so far i believe.
i have another 60,000 super hi res images going up soon, ill have to upgrade again.

"if you run out of space on your vps you will need to upgrade your disk space right away because your server will be full and unable to read the temp internet files to display your site and your get internal server error 500 when you try to visit your site so watch the disk space"

as soon as you upgrade your disk space your site will be up in minutes.
vetta

Postby vetta » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Indivstock wrote:what about the storage. 100GB with 12.000 images. 60gb isnt much

60G isnt much but ive been upgrading disk space as i grow which is super easy to do. ive already upgraded to 90 and ill be upgrading again soon.
its easy to increase disk space, just login to your account and view your server and upgrade to the next level, it takes effect in minutes.
Its cheaper that way. i have 60,000 more images to upload so i will be moving to fully dedicated hopeful when this deal goes through with this photog.
vetta

Postby vetta » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 pm

Indivstock wrote:what about the storage. 100GB with 12.000 images. 60gb isnt much

Im running out of space as fast as i can buy it ive since upgraded from 60g to 90g to 120g and i still have 50,000 files fransfering from artists online portfoios and im 90% hard drive capacity .Heres a great tip if your using godaddy vps, go to plesk panel, on homepage you will find "install applications", install "net2ftp. log into net2ftp and follow the instructions and you can transfer files server to server instead of downloading contributor portfolios to your computer and uploading them again to your webserver,it 1000 times faster! ( i move all files to photopreupload and bulk upload them in admin.)
i JUST now opened an amazon s3 account and im going to see is its more cost efficient to use this service.
vetta

Return to Web Hosting