Forum

Questions and discussions

Transfer of the site backups deactivate keys

Report any problems or bugs

Transfer of the site backups deactivate keys

Postby vdavid23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:17 pm

I am not sure why this is happening. I use backup buddy and try to use this for a faster installation and migration to a new hosting platform. I recent switched hosting companies again and we have decided to build our own dedicated server due to limitations from the hosting companies in resources.

We tried using the script on many shared hosting platforms and we can say the best platform would be a VPS or dedicated server for performance and resource use. Why I am saying all of this is because we have moved the site now using backup buddy and clean installs with the same issues.

I thought at first it was because I left the older site running until we could test and make sure everything restored correctly, but even after removing the other site I was still unable to activate the license key again.

I keep getting an API key error and when I go to my order form I am typing in the correct API keys.

I would never post anything unless I was truly stumped and this one has me.

Again, I restored a backup and the purchased plugin will not activate now with the correct keys.

I have done a fresh install and followed the instructions of installing the free first and then over writing with the purchased and cannot activate.

I have deleted our original site we left for safety reasons and now I no longer have a site that is activated and I cannot activate the fresh install.

I have done a restore of the original backup and the backup from the activated site now says this is not activated, but has the correct keys, but then gives an API error. These are not the correct keys?

What would be best practices moving forward if we have to do this again and can this issue be solved?

We need to have a working backup just incase and now we are seeing that the backups we are making deactivate the keys.

What would you recommend?

Our concern again is that all backups are worthless if we cannot restore them and it deactivates the keys. We have now went back to the other hosting companies and did fresh installs and restores of the backups made and now all restores cannot be activated?
vdavid23

Re: Transfer of the site backups deactivate keys Error! The

Postby vdavid23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 pm

I ran another test and cannot figure out why this works?

The shared hosting we are moving from and made the backup from we were able to activate the site again when restored. We had to deactivate the plugin after the backup was restored, then activate it again and add the API keys and the site activated.

We have no plans to stay on this shared hosting so I went to the dedicated server we have and followed the same steps. Error! The API key and API secret are incorrect.

This makes no sense. We can activate the site after restoring to the shared hosting we are moving from, but get the API error when we perform the same steps on the new server?
vdavid23

Re: Transfer of the site backups deactivate keys

Postby vdavid23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 pm

One last test. This is really strange. We went ahead and did a sql dump and deleted the restored dtatbase from the back up. Then I restored the sql dump from the activated site from the shared hosting and imported it into the site we restored on the new server.

The site now shows activated. I will run once more test to make sure we have a process to resore our backups, but this concerns me that backup buddy will not restore the site as needed if the site ever crashes and if we do not also perform regular sql dumps to go along with the backups we are only restoring from our backups an unactivated site that cannot be reactivated?
vdavid23

Postby vdavid23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Ok, this seems to be the only way to activate a restored backup key.

We make two backups.

It might make more sense to drop backup buddy completely to backup this site, but the issue is I have to then do a sql dump from the working site and also a copy of the word press.

The database has to be dumped no matter what and the sql dump imported from the working site.

Change pathing to point to the correct domain and then refresh and the site shows active.

Not sure why all the steps to restore a site but I wanted to let you know I have a temp solution for the migration, but even the restore drops images from the template.
vdavid23

Postby vdavid23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:11 pm

It also looks like you have to deactivate the theme after the restore and then delete it. I then copied over the original theme and activated it and all the images now show up.
vdavid23

Return to Bugs & Troubleshooting